RCE Youth Network
Who We Are
The RCE Greater Atlanta Youth Network is an initiative of RCE Greater Atlanta. We comprise students and mentors from the RCE Greater Atlanta member universities in the region who are passionate about sustainability and making a difference in our community.
The network connects students interested in sustainable development with each other and with opportunities to develop their career trajectory in sustainable and social development spheres.
Students are currently involved across many institutions of higher education in the Greater Atlanta area, including:
• Agnes Scott College
• Emory University
• Kennesaw State University
• Georgia State University
• Georgia Institute of Technology
• Spelman College
• University of Georgia
• Morehouse College
• Clark Atlanta University
But students from any higher education institution in Greater Atlanta are welcome to get involved! Contact [email protected] for information on joining the Youth Network.
What We're Doing
The United Nations officially recognized RCE Greater Atlanta in January 2018, and since then, the Youth Network has been one of the most active work groups. Students interested in sustainability who attend Greater Atlanta's higher education institutions have worked together to create programming to engage their peers in the SDGs in a variety of ways.
- Initial efforts of the Youth Network include sending five students in September 2017 to speak at the Georgia Campus Sustainability Network Conference.
- In Spring 2018, we worked with the United Nations Association of Atlanta to send volunteers to a refugee community in Clarkston, GA to help teach English to children. Also in Spring 2018, we held our first network sponsored event, hosting two United Nations Young Leaders to speak at Georgia Tech, Emory, and Kennesaw State University.
- In Fall 2018, members representing the Youth Network attended and presented at the RCE Meeting of the Americas in Argentina. In addition, we took part in the United Nations Association's Become a Global Leader workshop.
- In Spring 2019, we met at Agnes Scott College as part of our campus sustainability tour. Also, we participated in various volunteer activities with PlantLanta and West Atlanta Watershed Alliance.
- In Fall 2019, the Youth Network launched the start of their mentorship program. So far, there have been 7 mentor/mentee pairs matched! We also launched the SDG Literacy Campaign where we host civic dinners to discuss various SDGs.
Currently, we are focused on growing network membership, including recruiting leaders from each institution, and planning additional initiatives for our student members.
To view more information on past events and work that the Youth Network has done, click here.
Check out the following blogs/articles for more news on the Youth Network:
On Wednesday, May 13th, the RCE Greater Atlanta Youth Network hosted a virtual showcase celebrating the launch of the SDG Online Training Modules!
The RCE Greater Atlanta Youth Network is excited to announce an opportunity for small grant awards for SDG Projects in the Atlanta Community!